[Ardour-Users] OT: recording mike recommendation

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Aug 19 13:45:19 PDT 2010

On 19 August 2010 at 20:31, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rn_Nettingsmeier?= <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:

> On 19.08.2010 13:51, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > At the moment I'm thinking of buying the C 1000 myself, some time ago I
> > planed to buy some Behringer mics and to tweak them. It's not that I say
> > the AKG mic is a bad one. I wonder if 4 of them inside a grand piano
> > could do the job. First I thought this might a less expensive solution,
> > but I'm sceptic now.
>
> don't. get a matched pair of rode nt5 instead. if you can spend a little
> more, the nt55 might be interesting, since they come with swappable omni
> capsules included. i haven*t had a chance to test the latter, though,
> but maybe you get a chance to listen to them in the shop before you buy.
> or use an online retailer and make use of your right to return them if
> they are not satisfactory.

I don't like the sound of Behringer mics.  I have a pair of C1000S
mics.  They are not adequate to capture the sound of a good grand
piano.  Although, they will be adequate to tell if it's out of tune.
;-)  A good omni mic or two sound like a good bet, if you can't
afford a special mic made just for piano applications.

Good luck....

--
Kevin