[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 19 06:51:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:20 +0000, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> the problem of these beasts is that they sound sort-of-ok on-axis to me,
> but any off-axis sound is really badly colored. it gets a little better
> when you take out the hypercardioid thingy, but not much.

I experienced the same. I started with ORTF from outside the grand piano
and it ended with one C 1000 kissing the high strings in front and the
other kissing the low strings in the back oft the grand piano. I kept
cardioid, didn't tested hypercadioid. Just lifting the microphones 50 cm
over the strings with some angle and the sound became muddy. We did some
recordings with some distance from the strings and I guess this
recordings can't be 'repaired'.

The microphone has got a very good price-performance ratio. We had a
much more expensive Sony stereo microphone too, but I didn't like it. I
only have got a Realistic dynamic Shure clone at the moment. Just one
friend has got some Brauners and an Art mic pre-amp, but he wasn't
reachable.

At the moment I'm thinking of buying the C 1000 myself, some time ago I
planed to buy some Behringer mics and to tweak them. It's not that I say
the AKG mic is a bad one. I wonder if 4 of them inside a grand piano
could do the job. First I thought this might a less expensive solution,
but I'm sceptic now.

Neumann, Shoeps, Telefunken or just a capsule by Haun aren't payable for
the pianist or for me.