[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Aug 19 06:20:37 PDT 2010

On 19.08.2010 11:54, Arnold Krille wrote:

> And I don't really see why a recording with C1000 should be low
> quality per se. The Mackie reduces the quality a little bit, would
> have been better to have dedicated pre-amps preferably with
> ad-converters built in.

from my own (unfortunately quite intimate) knowledge of the c1k, i'd
readily agree with ralf that the sound quality will be rather limited.
the problem of these beasts is that they sound sort-of-ok on-axis to me,
but any off-axis sound is really badly colored. it gets a little better
when you take out the hypercardioid thingy, but not much.

i'd say the mackie pres won't be much of an issue with the c1k.
it was an ok beginner's mike way back when, but these days many other
models in the same price range have it for breakfast. plus it looks
horrible (way to bulky), and that is a real issue in classical live
recording situations).

> But all in all if the recording sounds bad, its not the fault of the
> tools used, but the fault of the technician;-) Only the poor
> craftsmen blames his tools.

the wise craftsman blames his tools when no-one's looking, and sneaks
out for better ones as soon as financially possible.