[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 19 05:45:15 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:54 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Not so good idea: Directly ripping the CD and then converting the samplingrate
> with libsamplerate gives you a higher quality then doing the resampling online
> by some strange recording chip you can't control.

Thank you :)

okay I'll rip the CD.

> They work both destructive or non-
> destructive (depending on the app and workflow you use) and they allow far more
> precise cuts then manual recording or automated recording synced to for
> example smpte.

Okay, I just found this: http://ardour.org/node/3702
I only would avoid to have to much waste from the recording session on
my HDD.

Cheers!

Ralf

PS OT:

> And I don't really see why a recording with C1000 should be low quality per
> se. The Mackie reduces the quality a little bit, would have been better to
> have dedicated pre-amps preferably with ad-converters built in. But all in all
> if the recording sounds bad, its not the fault of the tools used, but the
> fault of the technician;-) Only the poor craftsmen blames his tools.

No, it wasn't my fault. You can't record a grand piano giving the wanted
loudness war punch by using two AKG C 1000 S without having a
compressor, under the pressure of time, with bad tripods, with the
Mackie in the same living room as the C. Bechstein is and someone who
wants the rec level of the DAT-recorder to get values higher 0 dBfs and
adding bass and treble to the HIFI amp all the time you try to test
listen.

The musician http://achimjaroschek.com/ is fine with the original
recordings, when the microphones nearly kissed the strings and I do
agree, that the recordings done with some distance are less good.

I'm not fine with any of the recordings, hence I'll try to rework them.

Home recording sessions are something complete different to situations
where we are the leading engineers.

Doing recordings this way, you don't have control about all technical
issues, but the musician is more free to play relaxed, than being under
the pressure of a leading engineer.

Regarding to the microphones only, but to the complete situation, I
guess the AKG C 1000 S isn't good for grand piano studio recordings, at
least you should have more than 2. But yes, I forgot that Achim indeed
has got a Behringer 2 channel tube pre-amp, I should have tested it, but
that day I didn't remember that he has got this pre-amp. Unfortunately
his Mackie isn't all right, bad trim pots, bad headphone amp.