[Ardour-Users] The future?

david headon davidheadonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 03:19:06 PDT 2010

Simon makes a number of good points in this post.
Ubuntu Studio,
64 Studio,
and APODIO

are all now being based around Ubuntu [ unstable - testing ]
 repositories.
I'm using straight Ubuntu with various repos enabled, to allow 'non-free' codecs
and other attributes necessary for media production.
I find package management under Ubuntu convenient, but not perfect.
 As a long time fan of 'straight' Debian, i have enjoyed the relatively
un-contrived aspect of logging in as 'root' for administration.
It is a bit bothersome to me that i must utilise 'sudo-' for admin under Ubuntu,
but in recent years, the proliferation of admin scripts on the net has made
tedious tasks quite painless.

I guess, we gain and lose in equal measure.
If i were running web/php/sql servers, it would be straight 'stable' Debian all
the way,

whereas, my desktop needs and multimedia work (ie, most of what i need to do )
have benefited from the Ubuntu community  and it's relative merits.

Ardour/Jack users from the Gentoo or SuSe community, are there any advantages to
running a system on these platforms?
Mandriva? i am considering 'all comers' for my next multimedia box
 (building as we speak),
BUT,   I'd love to keep the initial setup time to a minimum...

I keep coming back to Ubuntu-

I'm very keen to hear other ideas and ways of working!

thanks to Paul and all the members of this list for years of fascinating growth
and learning.

I dearly want to fine the optimum system for running Ardour so that i can, with
total confidence, begin to utilise Jack/Ardour commercially  as a production
tool for my clients.
The 'next step' might allow me to contribute financially to the Ardour project,
and be a 'non-hobbyist' user!

thanks-

dav=-0