[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 build problem

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Oct 12 16:47:22 PDT 2009

Henry W. Peters wrote:

> P.s., I do get sound from my MiaMidi (Echo Corp.) sound card via its'
> driver & alsa... /just not in Ardour/ (i.e., I use Audacity (which has
> some _other_ problems), & RealAudio (Helix project), & the tests work in
> the sound control panel, in Ubunto 9.04, & it works fine in Windows
> XP... though I know that is not relevant to the Linux needs).

well, it does establish that the hardware is ok.
so you a functional ALSA support. the question is: does it run in with
jack? i believe you said it does elsewhere. did you ever get it to play
sound using a jack application?

> P.p.s., if you do not have the time (for what ever reason), etc., let me
> know, I can put this question to the list.

i took the liberty of moving this discussion back on the list, so that
others can participate and the result eventually hits the archives.

> In file included from /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset.hpp:15,
>                  from libs/ardour/ardour/session.h:32,
>                  from libs/ardour/ardour/audio_diskstream.h:39,
>                  from libs/ardour/audio_diskstream.cc:44:
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp: In member function
> ‘size_t boost::dynamic_bitset<Block, Allocator>::count() const’:
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:1021: error: ‘mode’
> cannot appear in a constant-expression
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:1021: error:
> template argument 1 is invalid
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:1021: error:
> expected `>' before ‘*’ token
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:1021: error:
> expected `(' before ‘*’ token
> /usr/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:1021: error:
> expected primary-expression before ‘>’ token
> scons: *** [libs/ardour/audio_diskstream.os] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
> henry at henry-heron:~/ardour-2.8.3$

this looks like a c++ compiler incompatibility to me. recent gcc
releases need some explicit include declarations that used to be
implicit in older versions. try and get an updated version of boost, or
try to google one of those error messages - often, you will find that
the appropriate fixes are being discussed somewhere.
this problem is not ardour-related.

if you can't solve this, try and find an ardour package for your distro,
to see if it suits your needs. once you know it's what you're after, you
can invest more time to get a full build environment going and try to
compile the very latest release.

best,

jörn

--