[Ardour-Users] eContact! issus 11.3: open source

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Oct 3 17:00:39 PDT 2009

On 10/03/2009 09:47 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2009 08:13 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>>
>>> canadian magazine eContact! is running an issue dedicated to open source
>>> audio software. enjoy, jörn
>>>

>> I know that you had nothing to do with it but how the fxxx did Ableton
>> get onto the front page?
>>
>> Those guys are canny marketers but that is really pushing the limits.
>>
> well, afaics the idea of the whole issue was to inform poeple whose
> workflow has depended mostly on closed-source applications about the
> possibilities of free software.
> i think it's an excellent idea to include a (somewhat) dissenting
> opinion (which presents very valid reasons for not going open source
> from people who have created a product in a class of its own).

That's an dangerous place to be. In general dissenting opinions on why
not to use open source tend to be produced by the companies that make
the  most money from maintaining the belief...

I wonder if you might want to make a separate page to display the
articles for dissenting opinions on the use of open source.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd