[Ardour-Users] eContact! issus 11.3: open source

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Oct 2 21:57:34 PDT 2009

On 10/03/2009 02:06 PM, CEC jef chippewa wrote:

>> I hope it will lead to a more open Ableton in the future.
>
> This is addressed in the article.

It may be addressed but when the answer is that open source is not
viable for Ableton or their business model it ends up being a marketing
article about a closed source business with closed source products which
dutifully takes suggestions from it's clients and users and incorporates
them into it's feature set, as well as possibly taking ideas from the
open source world, integrating them into their product, selling the
product and not returning anything back. In other words the complete
opposite of open source.

>> I was referring specifically to the description of the article not to
>> the actual text in the article itself. the description reads to me as
>> though Ableton managed to sneak in a mention on an open source
>> channel. It doesn't give me the impression they have much to
>> contribute otherwise.
>
> Hm, that is indeed very curious, I'm not sure how they managed to do
> that through something that I wrote. The blurb is entirely
> representative of concerns that he brought up in the article for the
> software. He also mentions in the article that he is interested in
> open source but finds that it is simply not the right model for what
> they are doing.

This is my concern. The article sticks out like a sore thumb.

To me the contents page reads like this:  Open source, open source, open
source, closed source (And why we don't do open source and probably
never will so put that in your pipe and smoke it....), open source, open
source.

If you were promoting Avid, Protools, Logic, etc... it would fit.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd