[Ardour-Users] eContact! issus 11.3: open source

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Oct 2 20:52:53 PDT 2009

On 10/03/2009 01:43 PM, CEC jef chippewa wrote:

> Hi again,
>
>> The only one that sticks out is the Ableton article but if they are
>> making the effort to contribute and not just attempting to spread
>> their brand in every location possible then it seems reasonable to
>> include it.
>
> I can confirm the article is not intended as advertising, it was in
> fact written upon my invitation, following discussions related to open
> source in person with Gerhard that were hardly him "pushing" his
> product. If you have met him in person you would probably already have
> surmised this.

I have seen several years of very little action (as in nil) from Ableton
in open source so seeing it promoted on an open source website is a
suprise. That by itself is not a problem for me as it is great that
Gerhard is willing to contribute. I hope it will lead to a more open
Ableton in the future.

>> The description doesn't give me the impression tthough. It does look
>> suspiciously like advertising to me. If that is not the intention
>> then you may want to adjust the wording slightly.
>
> We edit the articles if needed, we don't censor.

I was referring specifically to the description of the article not to
the actual text in the article itself. the description reads to me as
though Ableton managed to sneak in a mention on an open source channel.
It doesn't give me the impression they have much to contribute otherwise.

It would be refreshing to be proven wrong though but that cannot be done
by one article on an open source channel.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd