[Ardour-Users] Any ardour users/studios in/near Halifax, Canada?

David Taht d at teklibre.com
Wed May 27 07:57:41 PDT 2009

Ralf Mardorf escribió:
> David Taht wrote:
>> http://www.teklibre.com/~d/music/ease/greenleaf/
>>

> Hey :)
>
> thank you, you made me starting the day with singing Penny Lane :).

Heh, if you can sing it well, are you available for overdubs?

> Excepted to The Beatles I don't have any of those songs in my vinyl
> collection, it's not really the music I'm listening to, but I like your
> Interpretations a lot, IMO they have a touch of melodic Punk Rock, even
> if it sounds more like folk/singer-songwriter music, it feels a bit like
> Hüsker Dü and similar music.

Thank you for the comments. I will pass them along. You are very observant!

The rest of the songs *are* actually from punk bands like Propagandi,
and the Weakerthans, but done in a folk style. The sole original on the
EP, "Time on my hands", despite sweet lyrics like

"memories of emerald seas
 that make it all so hard to leave
 oh man we were living a dream
 at least that's how it seemed...
 but in the end, what did we achieve?"

trev chose to sing in a punk style.

We have another Propagandi cover that I wish we'd recorded. Consider a
folk version, sweetly sung by an angel, played on acoustic guitar and
bass, of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPpXY1aWKgI

(I note that the title and lyrics to this song are obscene)

>> bootstrapping his machine up to ubuntu studio
>>

> Are there any troubles?

Trev is a windows user. Angel uses a mac. They both see the command line
as a mysterious arcane thing. Ripping out a hard disk, partitioning a
drive, and installing Linux is quite an intimidating exercise.

> The last 14 month my new mobo wasn't fine with
> rt-audio on Linux (I'm not dissing Linux audio), but now it seems to be
> fine. If you prefer Ubuntu as distro and Ubuntu Studio cause troubles,
> you might give 64 Studio 3.0-beta3 (based on Ubuntu Hardy)  a chance.
> It's the first time that rt-audio is fine on my machine and this without
> doing any settings myself. (For my troubles I guess using jackdmp
> instead of jackd solved the troubles.)

jackdmp has been good to me on my multi-core.

> I don't know if there is a user-mailing list for Ubuntu Studio, but
> there is one for 64 Studio, so your people in Halifax can get help by
> the list and I guess there are people from Canada subscribed to the list.

I will check it out.

> I'm not running Ardour, but I never heard about problems with Ardour on
> 64 Studio 3.0-beta3. The only problems you might get, is that you need
> to compile some stuff, while there are no jack.h (libjack dev) and
> kernel headers in the repository, because its still a beta version.

Well, in my case I have to patch the tranzport driver into ardour, so I
can't use a distro lacking headers. I have run 64 studio at various
points in time (my home machines are all 64 bit) but at the moment I am
running ubuntu throughout. I will be upgrading to a 9.x based something
at some point, I will evaluate those two then.

> I often read about problems with clean installations of Ubuntu Studio. I
> don't know if what I read is representative for Ubuntu Studio. Maybe
> it's easier to use 64 Studio 3.0-beta3.

what I do is tend to wait for about 2-3 months after a new OS version
release, then upgrade. I know that that is less exciting for some, but I
usually then pile on self compiled versions of my own plugins, my own rt
kernel, ardour from svn, etc just to keep things interesting.