[Ardour-Users] Tempo Ramp

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:28:45 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> On 30 January 2009 at 18:37, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:25 -0600, Dewey Smolka wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Dominic SacrÃ(c) <dominic.sacre at gmx.de
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not at my Ardour workstation right now, but I believe
>>> that Rosegarden supports tempo ramping. As long as you have
>>> Rosegarden and Ardour properly synced, then Ardour should
>>> follow the tempo pattern in RG.
>>
>> JACK does not currently allow clients to accurately share tempo
>> information.
>
> I have sync'd RG and ardour before, but with a constant tempo.  My
> fallback plan is to have RG create an audio file click track based on
> its tempo ramp, then use that audio file as a click track in ardour.
> I'd expect that the bars in ardour would be of little use.  But,
> this should get me running.
>
> Thanks....
> --
> Kevin

My experience with bars in any DAW is sort of hit and miss. Do too
much with click tracks and it starts to sound fake and computer
generated. Try to keep my own time and I go fast and slow and then
prerecorded MIDI stuff (like MIDI drum pattern libraries) is much
harder to use. I prefer my own music when it's played live and that's
the absolute worst for matching up to DAW timing. Pro Tools has some
nice tools for finding tempo based on things like kick drum patterns,
etc., but I've not used them at all.

I really like Dominic's solution. Very cool. You might be able to play
live and then do some back testing to figure out what tempos you
played at and then write a map that comes pretty close, or you could
write the tempo map ahead of time and then try to play with it,
assuming you know what you want to do.

Sort of reminds me of a drum pattern creation feature in an older
program called Jazz.

Cheers,
Mark