[Ardour-Users] How to give a sound "presentation"?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Jan 10 18:29:57 PST 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Ferenc Wagner wrote:

> I was asked to help producing a play.  The play is about sounds! :)
> I think I can achieve the desired result with Ardour, but I have to
> accomodate timing variations by the actors.  Which means I can't pre-
> record everything and just play that back...
>
> Which (preferably Linux) software do you think would be the best for
> such a task?  I imagine having to need to push space only during the
> play, and the software would do the necessary crossfades, play back
> short noises or just keep looping something if left alone.

Do you need record bits of the show for playback later in the show, or are
all of the sounds pre-recorded and you need need to cue the playback at
specific times, based on the performers' actions?

If you're playng back pre-recorded sounds, you could bring in a sequencer
like Rosegarden, or load the sound effects into a kit in Hydrogen and
trigger them as needed from Hydrogen.

I'm not 100% sure how you'd handle it if you need to record bits of the
show for playback later, but you'd definitely need to have a highly
optimized workflow to get the bits recorded, cleaned up, and sequenced.

I'm also pretty sure some of the other people on the list will have some
better ideas :)

jms