[Ardour-Users] How to give a sound "presentation"?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 19:19:51 PST 2009

Sadly there is no good sound playback software suited for theater in the
linux realm that I am aware of.  Nothing really works well, though in a
pinch you could set up a sampler and launch based off that, it is far from
ideal.

What you really will want will be on OS X or Windows for the time being.  On
OS X QLab is one I can strongly reccomend, in fact I use it almost
exclusively now for theater sound design.  It is closed source, but the
basic version, which is more than enough for many shows, is free(As in beer
obviously).  Also on OS X is Cricket for a bit more money.  This is better
suited for mixing of live audio signals on the computer in with playback,
but for shows I don't have to deal with live audio I strongly reccomend QLab
over it.  For processing of Live Audio I tend to write patches in Pd, but
Cricket is better suited for it out of the box.  This is also closed source
proprietary software(Cricket).

On the Windows front you will have more choices, but for those running on a
budget Sound Cue System is a good one to look at I have been told, but the
'standard' for this type of work typically is SFX by Stage Research these
days.  I am not personally a huge fan of it, but havne't used their new
version(Disliked their older ones) which I have been told has major
improvements.  Like SCS this is also closed source proprietary software, and
you will need to pay for it.

Sorry I can't give you any open source options, I just haven't seen anything
yet that is well suited for it, and haven't gotten anything written anywhere
close to a usable point myself yet.

      Seablade

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org