[Ardour-Users] not upgrading...

Don Fredricks ardour at handsfull.net
Mon Dec 21 08:53:16 PST 2009

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 11:53 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>> Get it working. Then leave it alone. Do not think that the latest new
>> feature will help you bring your ideas to life - it will not. It will
>> only take up your time, time that could be spent playing music.
> ... it doesn't really work in an open-source ecosystem, if you want support
> from developers and exchange with fellow users, because the latest and
> greatest is where it's at, with all the associated loss of productive
> time.

In order to gain any significant market share among pros, it may be that
Ardour (the community) needs to figure out a way to provide support to
those for whom a primary requirement is to have a stable platform. This
means choosing one version, and supporting that version with bugfix
patches for a significant period of time (maybe 2-3 years).

Suppose I were a studio pro, using Ardour 2.8.4. If I ran into a crash
bug, or if there were a feature that I need that was supposed to work, but
didn't, the last thing I would want to hear when I ask for support is
"That version is six months old! You need to upgrade to (not nearly
stable) 3.x!" When stability is paramount, the motto is "Better the devil
you know, than the one you don't know."

I do NOT think the burden of this should fall on Paul's shoulders. He is
busy enough. Might we be able to put together a team to provide ongoing
support for 2.x? Does this make any sense?

Don