[Ardour-Users] Ardour dependency dance,

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 13:46:03 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:59:12PM -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> I'm giving Ardour another try, now, on Debian Lenny...  Trying to
> install the GTK libraries, to satisfy all dependencies, to be able to
> build & install Ardour from source,  I get the above error (in
> bold). The first time I did an install of the GLIB files (<big><b>GLIB
> the 'install' file, my bad), & did <i>not</i> do  the 'rm
> -rf/install-' etc. as indicated below...  so I tried again (after doing
> a 'make clean'), hoping this will not mess me up too bad! (?) &
> perhaps this is not the problem anyway... (but then again...?) Any
> suggestions? <br>

You shouldn't have to do anything with GTK2 on Debian Lenny apart from
installing libgtk2.0-dev and libgnomecanvas2-dev using apt-get. That should
automatically install all required GTK2 packages IIRC.

A warning though: some other Lenny packages aren't up to date enough
or have annoying bugs so they should also be compiled from source
before attempting to compile Ardour 2. On my system I compiled
the following from upstream source:

liblo (Lenny version works but can cause Ardour, Jamin etc. to hang
      while it looks for nonexistent IPv6 connections on startup)

libsndfile (Lenny version is too old)

FWIW I also compiled a pre-emptive kernel, alsa (-lib, -tools and -utils),
jack, aubio, lv2, waf, jamin and foo-plugins, and I use a window manager
(WindowMaker) that doesn't force me to install any Debian audio packages
in the first place.

Have you considered trying a more audio-friendly distro like
64studio?

John