[Ardour-Users] Ardour dependency dance,

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:39:34 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com> wrote:
> checking for extra flags for POSIX compliance... none needed
> checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.21.3...
> *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.22.0, but GLIB (2.22.3)
> *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
> *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
> *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
> *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
> *** required on your system.
> *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> *** to point to the correct configuration files
> no
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 2.21.3 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
> henry at musicbox:~/Download/gtk+-2.18.0$
>
> I'm giving Ardour another try, now, on Debian Lenny...  Trying to install
> the GTK libraries, to satisfy all dependencies, to be able to build &
> install Ardour from source,  I get the above error (in bold). The first time
> I did an install of the GLIB files (GLIB (2.22.3)), I may have messed up
> (didn't read the 'install' file, my bad), & did not do  the 'rm
> -rf/install-' etc. as indicated below...  so I tried again (after doing a
> 'make clean'), hoping this will not mess me up too bad! (?) & perhaps this
> is not the problem anyway... (but then again...?) Any suggestions?

Looks like you have a confused glib installation! It appears you might
have components of two different versions of glib on your system.
Specifically, your pkgconfig file seems to be indicating glib 2.22.0,
while the actual library appears to be reporting 2.22.3.

Your best bet is to fix your glib installation.  Barring that, you can
manually edit your broken pkgconfig file, which on my system is
located at:
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc.

This might break other builds on your system, and is not in any way a
"fix", but should get your build to work.  Change the "Version: line
to match the version of your installed library, which in this case,
looks like 2.22.3.  Of course, this approach guarantees that you will
have a broken glib installation until you fix it!

Note, you should be able to test what pkg-config returns by manually
executing the line:
$ pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0

Better yet, fix your glib installation! ;)

Hope that helps.

Chris