[Ardour-Users] getting started

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:19:54 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Noel Darlow <mail at mcgruff.plus.com> wrote:
>> I don`t know wich linux version should i install, i hope someone help
>> me with some document or any tutorial that i can read to begin.
>> thanks.
>
> Another Gentoo user here. This was my first ever Linux distro and
> although I was completely clueless I managed to get it up and
> running. There is good support from docs...
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
>
> ...and forums...
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/
>
> Gentoo has a great package management system (portage) which makes it
> very easy to select apps and even specific versions to install. That's
> the number one requirement for audio, I think. You can try out a
> bleeding edge version from the repo HEAD but easily drop back to
> something more stable if it's not working out.
>
> In general, Ubuntu is great for a first Linux distro but I'm not sure
> about audio specifically. Weren't they having problems with real-time
> kernels recently? I could be wrong.
>
> What's your hardware?
>

> Noel

I had used Redhat, Fedora and PlanetCCRMA before Gentoo, but I was and
still remain a newbie even after 10 years of using Linux. I don't
program. I don't take back traces. I barely understand compiler flags,
much less linking libraries. That said I run 5 Gentoo boxes here at
home as well as 2 remotely. Gentoo is VERY logical, and the
documentation is amazingly good. It's slow to bring up the first time,
and it begs for good hardware because you compile everything, but it's
the most solid and stable Linux I've used.

I recommend it highly but this any new user should study a bit before
jumping in, and don't use Gentoo on old hardware.

Some Ubuntu users were having trouble with rt-kernels, but I don't
know if that means Ubuntu was. Hard to tell sometimes from the
outside.

- Mark