[Ardour-Users] getting started

Noel Darlow mail at mcgruff.plus.com
Sun Apr 12 18:09:43 PDT 2009

> I don`t know wich linux version should i install, i hope someone help
> me with some document or any tutorial that i can read to begin.
> thanks.

Another Gentoo user here. This was my first ever Linux distro and
although I was completely clueless I managed to get it up and
running. There is good support from docs...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

...and forums...

http://forums.gentoo.org/

Gentoo has a great package management system (portage) which makes it
very easy to select apps and even specific versions to install. That's
the number one requirement for audio, I think. You can try out a
bleeding edge version from the repo HEAD but easily drop back to
something more stable if it's not working out.

In general, Ubuntu is great for a first Linux distro but I'm not sure
about audio specifically. Weren't they having problems with real-time
kernels recently? I could be wrong.

What's your hardware?

Noel