[Ardour-Users] Processor load on ardour

Brett Clark brett.clark at zirous.com
Mon Sep 8 09:25:25 PDT 2008

>> Do the rest of you have the same problem?

Gosh, not at all.  One of the biggest sessions I recorded was on a 1 Ghz
Celeron processor with 1.2Gig ram onto a dedicated SATA (SATA1, not
SATA-2) drive.  I got around 20 tracks and 8 buses sampling at 24/96
from my Delta 1010.  Granted, this was back on Ardour 0.99 and Fedora
Core 3 and I didn't care about latency so I maximized the buffers.  But
I did have EQing (TAP 10-band) on over half the tracks and buses, along
with some compression (TAP dynamics).  A couple of the tracks were
stereo, but most were mono.  I don't remember the exact counts on it,
but I do remember that on playback it would put the CPU around 60%.  And
I do remember being impressed with it.

--Brett