[Ardour-Users] jack and ardour disconnecting/crashing while using Csound

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 22 23:30:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 02:16 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just worked on a project that involved recording several tracks of
> sound synthesized by Csound in realtime (tried both official 5.09 and
> CVS build) plus ambisonic ladspa panners, ambdec (ambisonic decoder)
> and jconv (convolution application). I started this project using
> Ubuntu Studio Linux and ended it with OpenSuse (both using their
> respective RT kernels and getting same problems with both). It became
> a very unstable combination since every time I stopped Csound,
> randomly Ardour would disconnect from jack or jack would crash, and
> then I was unable to make Ardour reconnect after restarting jack (it
> would complain about not being able to reconnect the ports). It was
> happening so regularly that I had ready on my desktop a couple of
> scripts to restart everything.
>
> Is there anything I could do to avoid this? Is it Csounds fault? Is it
> my system? Jack is running like this: jackd -R -P60 -p1024 -t2000 -u
> -dfreebob -r48000 -p1024 -n3 -D (using a Edirol FA-101). Could this be
> a realtime priorities issue? I installed the rtirq script by Rui Nuno
> Capela tunned to prioritize the firewire ports and made sure Jack is
> running at a lower priority (firewire is at 70). Jack's version is
> 0.109.2 and Ardour's is 2.5.

Some of your instability probably comes from JACK 0.109.2 (not all of
it, but some). There will be a new release out very soon which will fix
the JACK-contributed portion. If you feel comfortable doing it, then you
can use JACK from svn already.

I repeat what I have said so often: there is almost never any reason for
users to use the -P flag to JACK. Unless you are working on a special
system, just leave JACK to pick priorities.

--p