[Ardour-Users] Ardour & Portaudio on linux?

Matt Savigear mcs_ardour at savigear.com
Sun Oct 12 11:43:26 PDT 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> Lets try to be clear: the problems you face with JACK are going to come
> up again if your goals are the same as the ones that JACK attempts to
> address. You can certainly get audio playback to work without tackling
> these problems - the solution in every case is just to buffer stuff up
> the wazoo, it just happens to be a solution done for you by either the
> apps you use or the audio "backend" you use. However, as soon as low
> latency becomes important to you, then whether you use JACK or not, you
> will have to tackle them.

Well, I do understand this, but I know the machine I am using used to
manage low latency jack fine, and then for some reason has stopped. I
can't downgrade all the software because (a) I don't know how much has
changed since it was last actually stable which is several months ago
and (b) the machine in question can have a different boot/runlevel to
control kernel, kernel parameters and started services but the
fundamental software needs to also supprt my day-to-day desktop
requirements. Bottom line is that I think something I can't diagnose has
gone screwy with my USB handling.

So, I was hoping for something which might do the same job but didn't
have the particular "ALSA: poll time out" error jack raises which I
can't seem to fix. Unfortunately, I thought portaudio might be a
replacement which would work - obviously that was incorrect.

Thanks for the info,

Matt.