[Ardour-Users] Ardour & Portaudio on linux?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Oct 12 12:07:39 PDT 2008

Matt Savigear wrote:
> Well, I do understand this, but I know the machine I am using used to
> manage low latency jack fine, and then for some reason has stopped. I
> can't downgrade all the software because (a) I don't know how much has
> changed since it was last actually stable which is several months ago
> and (b) the machine in question can have a different boot/runlevel to
> control kernel, kernel parameters and started services but the
> fundamental software needs to also supprt my day-to-day desktop
> requirements. Bottom line is that I think something I can't diagnose has
> gone screwy with my USB handling.
>
> So, I was hoping for something which might do the same job but didn't
> have the particular "ALSA: poll time out" error jack raises which I
> can't seem to fix. Unfortunately, I thought portaudio might be a
> replacement which would work - obviously that was incorrect.
>
> Thanks for the info,
>
> Matt.

It's better to have a multi-boot e.g. one Linux for your DAW and another
Linux for anything else. And it's smart to rsync the DAW and never to
overwrite such a backup until it isn't sure that the latest version of
your DAW is fine. HDDs aren't expensive any more. I've to admit, that I
miss to backup my Linux most times and that I also have many old backups
wasting resources, because of an primeval collective instinct, a
compulsion neurosis or something stupid else. Anyway, backups can be a
help sometimes, even if I'm not able to arrange it all the time.