[Ardour-Users] Ardour & Portaudio on linux?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Oct 12 09:12:33 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 15:26 +0100, Matt Savigear wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Due to lack of time for extensive testing, and a lot of time spent
> messing about with settings, irqs, realtime and so on I am admitting
> defeat and giving up on jack on my main machine.
>
> Now, as I understand it, ardour also runs using portaudio - is this
> correct? Is it likely I can get portaudio+ardour running without jack on
> my machine, thus making recording viable again?

Ardour only uses JACK for audio i/o. There is a portaudio backend for
JACK, but to be honest I think you'd have to be crazy to use it.

Lets try to be clear: the problems you face with JACK are going to come
up again if your goals are the same as the ones that JACK attempts to
address. You can certainly get audio playback to work without tackling
these problems - the solution in every case is just to buffer stuff up
the wazoo, it just happens to be a solution done for you by either the
apps you use or the audio "backend" you use. However, as soon as low
latency becomes important to you, then whether you use JACK or not, you
will have to tackle them.

--p