[Ardour-Users] State of Gentoo for audio was Mac recommendations

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 20:16:05 PST 2008

I switched to Arch from Gentoo. Personally (and honestly), I don't know if
there's any "performance improvement". Hell, if there were to be a
one-second "improvement" in i/o and r/w it wouldn't be obvious to me at all.

BUT, there is what I call a "system improvement" =p If you could emerge 10
times a week, you can write a PKGBUILD in 10 seconds for whatever software
package you need that has not a buildscript written for it or a binary made
off it.

Don't spend so much time thinking about which platform to deploy and settle
on. At the end of the day, you just need to load up the same software set
and start work asap. That is why most people choose to pay a premium for a
Digidesign Mac bundle.