[Ardour-Users] State of Gentoo for audio was Mac recommendations

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Nov 8 08:05:09 PST 2008

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Ray Rashif wrote:

> Don't spend so much time thinking about which platform to deploy and settle
> on. At the end of the day, you just need to load up the same software set
> and start work asap. That is why most people choose to pay a premium for a
> Digidesign Mac bundle.

That point is often overlooked in the whole Linux vs. Mac vs. Windows
debate for use in pro audio applications.  While it's nice to squeeze
every last ounce of performance out of a given system, many people who
make their living in pro audio can't or won't spend hours tinkering with
their systems to get there.  You reach a point where the return on that
investment in time and effort diminishes enough to not make it worth
someones' while.

That threshold will differ for someone who tinkers with this stuff on the
side vs. someone who might have to take time away from being able to
service their clients (read: make money).  People who fall into the latter
category often have little interest in having to resolve library
dependencies, debug audio drivers, re-compile kernels, etc...

I'm not bashing Linux as an audio platform (been doing it for a few years,
and have been a *nix user/admin in general for 15-ish years) but until
things advance to the point where things 'just work' in the majority of
cases, you won't see many people ditching their Pro Tools rigs to move to
Linux :)

jms