[Ardour-Users] OS-X options

Josh Parmenter josh at realizedsound.net
Tue Nov 4 23:01:51 PST 2008

I'm pretty sure 10.3 isn't supported in the current versions. He would
need to update to at least 10.4... then:

On Nov 4, 2008, at 10:56 PM, John Emmas wrote:

> Yesterday I was talking to a guy about DAWs and I recommended Ardour
> which
> he wants to try on his Apple laptop (running OS-X 10.3).  However,
> he's not
> a programmer and doesn't want to build anything from source.
>
> 1)  Am I right in telling him that binaries are available for BOTH the
> native version and the GTK version?

yes - but he would need to go to IRC to get the links.

> 2)  Is the 'native' version native in the sense that it uses Apple's
> native
> GUI (Aqua?) or is it native in some other sense?

No - it uses a native OS X port of GTK. Runs like any other Mac based
app though.

> 3)  If the two versions look different is there anywhere where he
> can see a
> screenshot of the native version so he can decide which one he
> prefers?

They look similar, but the X11 version has menu items INSIDE the
windows (not the menu bar).

> 4)  Are there any reasons to favour one version, rather than the
> other?

In general, at this point, I would suggest the native version. Drag
and drop, and AudioUnit plugins are supported, and it doesn't need X11
to run, so it feels more like your standard Mac app. If your friend
has never used X11, installing it and running within it (no native
menus... they are all in the GUI's window rather then the menu bar)
may seem strange.

So - I would suggest
update to 10.4
use native
get a three button mouse.

Best,

Josh

> In particular, if either of them can be installed without him
> needing to
> configure things manually (e.g. environment variables) or use a
> command
> line I think he'd prefer it.  When I spoke to him yesterday he
> didn't even
> know what 'source code' is or what 'binaries' are or what a 'command
> line'
> is - so this is someone with zero technical ability.  Ideally he'd
> need something that automatically loads any dependencies, such as
> Jack / Coreaudio etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

/* Joshua D. Parmenter
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/

“Every composer – at all times and in all cases – gives his own
interpretation of how modern society is structured: whether actively
or passively, consciously or unconsciously, he makes choices in this
regard. He may be conservative or he may subject himself to continual
renewal; or he may strive for a revolutionary, historical or social
palingenesis." - Luigi Nono
*/