[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri May 16 03:28:34 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 20:53 -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> >>Would it be reasonable to ask those who don't like PayPal to
> >>subscribe for a year using PayPal while asking that ardour's next
> >>"feature" is an alternate payment method?  "PayPal is icky" seems to
> >>be a theme here, and I don't like it either.
> >
> > No, I'm afraid it's not reasonable. "icky" is an understatement. I did have an account. They closed it without telling me and won't respond to any communications. Friends of mine have had money stolen by them. I actively encourage people not to open accounts,(with little success it has to be said). I wouldn't use PayPal again if my life depended on it. I actually feel like a freeloader using Ardour without supporting it, but if it's a choice between that and putting my money in the hands of a bunch of crooks then I'm afraid my money stays in the bank.
> >
> > Now, whether people like me are in the majority is very doubtful. But it also has to be said that PayPal is not really set up to make regular subscriptions - most people don't leave money in their PayPal accounts and so regular payments don't go through. I think taking cards might encourage more people to subscribe because it's easier for them than having to manage the arcaninties of a PayPal account. Whether that's worth it only Paul can decide. All I can say is, if you'll take my credit card you can have my money from now until my computer explodes.
>
> That has been my experience with PayPal, as well.  I don't trust them.
>
> I use them occaisionally for one-time payments via credit card to people
> I trust (like Paul), but not for an ongoing subscription.  I would never open
> an account with my money in their hands.
>
> Some other payment option would be good to have.

Here's another idea that wouldn't take much effort...

Make an rss feed of the number of downloads and the number of
subscriptions/donations. Add a ticker to show who has placed donations.
Provide an optional opt out so that their name is not displayed on the
ticker.

Put the download number and the donations number on the toolbar make it
a clickable link through to the payment gateway page on the site and
when you mouse over it could display the ticker.

This would provide advertising to companies directly to their target
audience. It would also let people who donate see their name up in
lights occasionally. It's unobtrusive but it is always on hence users
who know nothing about the development paradigm for Ardour will be
unable to avoid learning about it.

Anyone who downloads will realise pretty quick the disparity in the
number and the contributors. You'll soon see more donations coming
through.

Offer a free tshirt for x amount donated and you'll give people even
more incentive.

But make sure the payment gateway supports more than paypal.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.