[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:53:43 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> I'm ready to pay a year's subscription, but like others would prefer an
>>> alternative to PayPal.
>>
>>Would it be reasonable to ask those who don't like PayPal to
>>subscribe for a year using PayPal while asking that ardour's next
>>"feature" is an alternate payment method?  "PayPal is icky" seems to
>>be a theme here, and I don't like it either.
>
> No, I'm afraid it's not reasonable. "icky" is an understatement. I did have an account. They closed it without telling me and won't respond to any communications. Friends of mine have had money stolen by them. I actively encourage people not to open accounts,(with little success it has to be said). I wouldn't use PayPal again if my life depended on it. I actually feel like a freeloader using Ardour without supporting it, but if it's a choice between that and putting my money in the hands of a bunch of crooks then I'm afraid my money stays in the bank.
>
> Now, whether people like me are in the majority is very doubtful. But it also has to be said that PayPal is not really set up to make regular subscriptions - most people don't leave money in their PayPal accounts and so regular payments don't go through. I think taking cards might encourage more people to subscribe because it's easier for them than having to manage the arcaninties of a PayPal account. Whether that's worth it only Paul can decide. All I can say is, if you'll take my credit card you can have my money from now until my computer explodes.

That has been my experience with PayPal, as well.  I don't trust them.

I use them occaisionally for one-time payments via credit card to people
I trust (like Paul), but not for an ongoing subscription.  I would never open
an account with my money in their hands.

Some other payment option would be good to have.
--
 joq