[Ardour-Users] delay matching (aka time alignment)

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 02:09:01 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Cosgrove" <kevinc at cosgroves.us>
To: <ardour-users at lists.ardour.org>
Sent: 01 March 2008 08:43
Subject: [Ardour-Users] delay matching (aka time alignment)

> I'm recording a drum kit and I'd like to equalize the delay from
> a sound source to the mics; i.e. time align the mics.

I suspect that you'll be wasting your time Kevin.  This could only work if
each mic was  picking up just 1 source.  But in practice, each mic will
contain spillage.  For example, you'll be able to hear the hi-hat on the
snare mic.  Time-aligning the wanted sources would misalign the signals from
the unwanted sources.  It might produce better results in a few cases but it
would be equally likely to make the kit sound worse.  It's worth trying (in
fact you might get some pleasing effects) but I'd be inclined to save the
original so you can go back to it later, if necessary...!

Cheers,

John