[Ardour-Users] delay matching (aka time alignment)

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sat Mar 1 02:28:22 PST 2008

On 1 March 2008 at 10:09, "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'm recording a drum kit and I'd like to equalize the delay from
> > a sound source to the mics; i.e. time align the mics.
> >
> I suspect that you'll be wasting your time Kevin.  This could only work if
> each mic was  picking up just 1 source.  But in practice, each mic will
> contain spillage.  For example, you'll be able to hear the hi-hat on the
> snare mic.  Time-aligning the wanted sources would misalign the signals from
> the unwanted sources.  It might produce better results in a few cases but it
> would be equally likely to make the kit sound worse.  It's worth trying (in
> fact you might get some pleasing effects) but I'd be inclined to save the
> original so you can go back to it later, if necessary...!

I understand what you're saying.  But, I read an article on this,
and I've since lost the URL.  I didn't loose the before/after
sound samples of the kit though.  I've not done this before, but
I thought I should give it a try at least.  Certainly, I'm going
to save at least a snapshot of my "before" setup.

Thanks....
--
Kevin