[Ardour-Users] export automation

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jun 3 07:03:27 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 15:51 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how I could best use ardour as automation-sequencer and
> feed some external apps with information from ardour.
>
> ok, MIDI could do it: jack-midi would even do it in real-time and could
> compensate for latencies..
> In my case latency and jitter are not a big issue, I'm connecting to OSC..
>
> Before looking at MIDI->OSC translation I was thinking to "just insert"
> a LV2 plugin into ardour that can send OSC

there is already a LADSPA plugin for JAMin scene automation that works
this way (and works).

> - But I could not get the
> "OSC print" plugin to initialize/load in ardour3-svn3429 and I'm not
> sure if it will even do what I need: send OSC messages when an
> automation value changes during playback.

neither LADSPA nor LV2 IIRC provide a mechanism for the plugin to
interpose in the middle of parameter setting. this is a problem. the
value will change, but the plugin can't know it. it would be good to
check on what the JAMin scene automation plugin does.