[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 31 12:48:33 PST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Also, everything Arnold said about running in a chroot is true. I've
> done that myself and it does work. I've run 64-bit in a 32-bit chroot
> and 32-bit in a 64-bit chroot. Both are generally fine as far as I can
> tell. The only thing I find, as a Gentoo user, is that since we build
> everything from source keeping both installs up to date is twice as
> much work, so give that some thought if you decide to go that way.
> Probably not an issue if you use a binary distro. Maybe that's what
> Arnold is basing his statements on where as mine are from this Gentoo
> specific POV.

No! I don't admin two installs!!! And yes, I am running gentoo and wait for
every package to compile (except openoffice, firefox and proprietary flash).
I just admin _one_ gentoo 64bit install. Installing a _very small_ chroot for
32bit binaries like flash is done by the gentoo install system totally
without my interference! It just came as a dependency when installing flash
and firefox-bin!

That is how it should work! Using all the benefits of 64bit while still using
the 32bit apps without any further hazzle of manually setting up the chroot
and the things. And gentoo works that way!

/me stops with this now...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/