[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:09:14 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 11:22 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Ignorant question time... what's the difference between a multiprocessor
> box and a multi-core CPU?
>
> Mark

As far as you and I are concerned as users almost nothing. At the time
of this writing you almost certainly want to go with a Core 2 Duo as
they seem to offer the best price/performance point right now. AMD is
somewhat behind in this area but will likely catch up one day soon.

Also, everything Arnold said about running in a chroot is true. I've
done that myself and it does work. I've run 64-bit in a 32-bit chroot
and 32-bit in a 64-bit chroot. Both are generally fine as far as I can
tell. The only thing I find, as a Gentoo user, is that since we build
everything from source keeping both installs up to date is twice as
much work, so give that some thought if you decide to go that way.
Probably not an issue if you use a binary distro. Maybe that's what
Arnold is basing his statements on where as mine are from this Gentoo
specific POV.

Over and out,
Mark