[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:12:51 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 12:48 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > Also, everything Arnold said about running in a chroot is true. I've
> > done that myself and it does work. I've run 64-bit in a 32-bit chroot
> > and 32-bit in a 64-bit chroot. Both are generally fine as far as I can
> > tell. The only thing I find, as a Gentoo user, is that since we build
> > everything from source keeping both installs up to date is twice as
> > much work, so give that some thought if you decide to go that way.
> > Probably not an issue if you use a binary distro. Maybe that's what
> > Arnold is basing his statements on where as mine are from this Gentoo
> > specific POV.
>
> No! I don't admin two installs!!! And yes, I am running gentoo and wait for
> every package to compile (except openoffice, firefox and proprietary flash).
> I just admin _one_ gentoo 64bit install. Installing a _very small_ chroot for
> 32bit binaries like flash is done by the gentoo install system totally
> without my interference! It just came as a dependency when installing flash
> and firefox-bin!
>
> That is how it should work! Using all the benefits of 64bit while still using
> the 32bit apps without any further hazzle of manually setting up the chroot
> and the things. And gentoo works that way!
>
> /me stops with this now...
>

> Arnold

I have not seen *any* Gentoo install that does a real chroot as part
of the install. That's not what my 64-bit system does nor is it what I
was speaking of. (Which you clearly understand.) Mine uses (if I
choose to use it) 32-bit binaries in the 64-bit environment with the
help of the 32-bit emulation libraries. I don't think there is a real
chroot there but possibly I'm mistaken about that.

I admit that since they Gentoo 64-bit devs created better 32-bit
emulation libraries that the 32-bit stuff has worked better, but it
certainly doesn't work as well as my wife's native 32-bit Gentoo
machine. Java & flash both have issues whether I use the 32-bit or
64-bit Firefox, so at times I use both.

- Mark