[Ardour-Users] Compiling Ardour ?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 05:03:38 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "lanas" <lanas at securenet.net>
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Users] Compiling Ardour ?

> I guess I prefer dumber and stable over fancy and erratic :-)

I don't find that sarcastic at all.  In fact, it probably applies to the
vast majority of the world's computer users.  I can appreciate that there
are people like Josh who prefer to "live on the edge" but, as Bill Gates is
finding out with Vista, it's a philosophy that most of the world is happy to
live without..!

I must admit though, Lanas, these statements surprised me because
you seem to have answered your own question:-

From: "lanas" <lanas at securenet.net>

> What would prevent a smooth upgrade path scaled over time instead of
> sudden version changes ?
>
> I might be inexperienced in the domain of world-distributed distros and
> what I see is that dramatic changes in glibc would warrant a similar
> theatrical major version change.

The thing that hampers smooth, scaled changes in Linux is that it depends on
lots of underlying technologies which are mostly being developed by private
individuals working at their own pace and to their own timescales.  When a
major component changes, at least some of the developers who depend on that
component need to stop what they're doing and turn their attention to
compatibility issues.  This in turn, can create further compatibility issues
which result in the constant flurry of upgrades about which you first
complained.  It's very different from the situation with Apple or
Microsoft - where major changes can be kept "in house" until the company
feels ready to release them.

It's ironic - but that's the price you pay for not having to pay!!

Cheers,
John