[Ardour-Users] Compiling Ardour ?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 27 05:28:02 PST 2008

The way I see it is this.. if the system is working and it does what you
want it to, why upgrade? For me, I set a system up to do a job and once
it works I leave it alone (the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix
it). I still have a 10-year old WIndows98 box which does the job I set
it up for, and doesn't need upgrading. Where I work we have some 15-year
old 286 machines that boot from floppy, because they do one job, they do
it perfectly, so why change. Hell I know recording studios still running
the original Cubase on Atari STs. If you must have the
latest-and-greatest versions of everything then there's a price to pay.
As John writes, Linux is not developed in any particularly controlled
way, but at least you have the option to choose when and how to upgrade.

Just my 2p worth.

Mark