[Ardour-Users] Compiling Ardour ?

Sat Jan 26 16:34:58 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 18:30 -0500, lanas wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   If there's a constant in the Linux world, it has to be the flurry of
> OS releases each year.  Fedora Core 6 now seems an old release.  It
> looks like there are no more Ardour updates for it.  Thing is, I tried
> to update to F7 and it failed with some problems.  And F7 is becoming
> an old release now that there's F8.  And F9 is looming.  And CCRMA,
> last time I checked, did not have all packages ready for F8.

Planet CCRMA has all (I believe) packages ready for F8.

> Not to mention the x86_64 flavour that I'm running.
>
>   When will it stop ?

I imagine when you don't use linux any more? :-)
I myself ask that question every once in a while.

>   F12 ?
>
>   So I'm considering syncing with Ardour on a source code basis.  I
> could eventually even symlong the package and swithc easily between
> versions if need be.
>
>   So what I'd like to know, form people who had the experience, is, how
> 'hard' is it to compile Ardour on a x86_64 platform ?  Are the
> dependencies mundane or arcane ?

You could look at the spec file (you can get that from the source
package) for ardour from Fedora. That will show you the packages you
need to install to be able to build, and how and which build options are
currently being used.

-- Fernando