[Ardour-Users] Compiling Ardour ?

Josh Parmenter josh at realizedsound.net
Sat Jan 26 16:42:10 PST 2008

I'm constantly amazed (and saddened for nando) about the rate of
change in Fedora. On Mac, I was quite grateful for the Leopard delay.
I guess the only solution (if you want slower development) would be to
switch to Windows where OS changes take many years.

Josh

On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 18:30 -0500, lanas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  If there's a constant in the Linux world, it has to be the flurry of
>> OS releases each year.  Fedora Core 6 now seems an old release.  It
>> looks like there are no more Ardour updates for it.  Thing is, I
>> tried
>> to update to F7 and it failed with some problems.  And F7 is becoming
>> an old release now that there's F8.  And F9 is looming.  And CCRMA,
>> last time I checked, did not have all packages ready for F8.
>
> Planet CCRMA has all (I believe) packages ready for F8.
>
>> Not to mention the x86_64 flavour that I'm running.
>>
>>  When will it stop ?
>
> I imagine when you don't use linux any more? :-)
> I myself ask that question every once in a while.
>
>>  F12 ?
>>
>>  So I'm considering syncing with Ardour on a source code basis.  I
>> could eventually even symlong the package and swithc easily between
>> versions if need be.
>>
>>  So what I'd like to know, form people who had the experience, is,
>> how
>> 'hard' is it to compile Ardour on a x86_64 platform ?  Are the
>> dependencies mundane or arcane ?
>
> You could look at the spec file (you can get that from the source
> package) for ardour from Fedora. That will show you the packages you
> need to install to be able to build, and how and which build options
> are
> currently being used.
>
> -- Fernando

/* Joshua D. Parmenter
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/

“Every composer – at all times and in all cases – gives his own
interpretation of how modern society is structured: whether actively
or passively, consciously or unconsciously, he makes choices in this
regard. He may be conservative or he may subject himself to continual
renewal; or he may strive for a revolutionary, historical or social
palingenesis." - Luigi Nono
*/