[Ardour-Users] multichannel files and envelope lines

Andrew Johnston andy at 1300biteme.com
Fri Sep 14 18:14:20 PDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 01:26 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:

> it
> > >
> > > trunk is not the place to look for fixes to the 2.0-ongoing code. it
> has
> > > been fixed, however, in branches/2.0-ongoing (and trunk too).
> >
> > Well, I just checked out ardour ongoing using:
> > svn co http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing
> >
> > and after building I found that the envelopes are still missing...
>
> this is a longstanding problem for us. the issue is fixed, but the fix
> is "hidden" because your ~/.ardour2/ardour.colors file has incorrect
> values. if you rename ~/.ardour2 (or remove it if you are sure it has
> nothing of value), you will see the fix.
>
> if anyone has any good ideas on how we can address fixes like this in
> the future, please speak up.

Why don't you have a simple identifier string of the current version
installed within the preferences file.  Then when a fix comes out that needs
to change the preferences file it can identify it, notify the user on the
inital startup of ardour and ask if they want to keep their existing
preferences file or have it written over because of previous bugs?
I'm no programmer, but something like that doesn't seem to me too hard (but
if it is then I've got no other ideas!)