[Ardour-Users] disk not able to keep up with ardour...

John Rigg au at sound-man.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 02:13:55 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 07:48:58PM -0400, sara lidgey wrote:
> >What's the sample rate? If it's 92kHz there's no chance of a single
>  >disk keeping up with 64 tracks. At 48kHz it should be just about
>  >possible.
>
> I forgot to mention that.  The sample rate is 96kHz

You might want to reconsider that choice for future projects.
The Delta 1010 has decent converter chips but weak clocking.
The clock jitter is actually bad enough at higher sample rates
to just about cancel out any quality increase from the higher rate
(at least that's what I've found with mine).
In effect you're using twice as much bandwidth and disk space
and not necessarily getting a significant improvement in recording
quality compared to 48kHz.

Of course if you're doing a lot of signal processing in the digital
domain that is likely to sound better at 96kHz, so it's a case of
deciding on the best compromise.

John