[Ardour-Users] disk not able to keep up with ardour...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 24 10:49:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:37 -0400, sara lidgey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working a a fairly large multitrack production in Ardour and its
> gotten to the point where I am getting the "The disk on your computer
> was not able to keep up with Ardour..." message about every 30 seconds
> while playing back and while recording.
> I'm going to post as much detail as possible below and I would
> appreciate any advice on solving this problem.  Thanks!
>
> ARDOUR
> SESSION---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Session length: 3 minutes
> Number of tracks: 64

ah, this time evolution cooperated.

note that 64 tracks is close to the limit for audio i/o from a single
disk. assuming mono tracks and ardour's default file format, you need 64
* 4 * 48000 = 11.8MB/sec read capacity, plus the same in the other
direction if you were recording all tracks simultaneously. although your
disk appears to get good peak speed:

> /dev/sda:
>  Timing cached reads:   5234 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2620.47 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  244 MB in  3.01 seconds =  81.15 MB/sec

you might be running vaguely close to its limits for continuous
"streaming" i/o capacity.

or you might not. i'll wait for your answer to my first question.