[Ardour-Users] disk not able to keep up with ardour...

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Oct 24 10:50:29 PDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, sara lidgey wrote:

> I'm working a a fairly large multitrack production in Ardour and its
> gotten to the point where I am getting the "The disk on your computer
> was not able to keep up with Ardour..." message about every 30 seconds
> while playing back and while recording.

> I'm going to post as much detail as possible below and I would
> appreciate any advice on solving this problem.  Thanks!

64 simultaneous tracks seems like a lot to have running on one spindle.
I'd start seriously thinking about a RAID solution that will allow you to
stripe the data across multiple disks, or better yet stripe and mirror
(RAID 0+1) so you have protection if one of the disks in the RAID set
blows up.

Is everything (OS and your Ardour session) all on that same drive?  At an
absolute minimum I'd move the Ardour session to a second drive, but that's
not a guarantee that the problems will go away.

jms