[Ardour-Users] disk not able to keep up with ardour...

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Oct 24 11:01:18 PDT 2007

On 24 October 2007 at 13:37, sara lidgey <slidgey at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm working a a fairly large multitrack production in Ardour
> and its gotten to the point where I am getting the "The disk on
> your computer was not able to keep up with Ardour..." message
> about every 30 seconds while playing back and while recording.
> I'm going to post as much detail as possible below and I would
> appreciate any advice on solving this problem.  Thanks!
>
> ARDOUR SESSION---------------------------------------------------------
> Session length: 3 minutes
> Number of tracks: 64
> NOTE: the problem gets worse as I add more tracks, only 10 tracks are
>       ever being played at once
> Plugins: none

My system is largely like yours, dual-core, same sound "card", 3GB
RAM, pair of Seagate 7200rpm IDE drives.  I got the same error when
working with just over 70 tracks of 5 minutes of audio.  After
repeated attempts to start playback enough of my audio files seemed
to be cached in RAM that the race to finish the song and read the
disk ended up in my favor.

Back when I was facing this issue someone on this list suggested that
I could deactivate some of my tracks, which keeps them in the project
but doesn't read them during playback.  That completely solved my
problem, and could very likely solve yours since you only want 10
tracks at once.

Good luck....

--
Kevin