[Ardour-Users] Could Compiz-Fusion actually improve performance?

Andrew Johnston andy at 1300biteme.com
Mon Oct 22 06:20:12 PDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:34:37 +0930, "Andrew Johnston" <andy at 1300biteme.com
> >
> wrote:
> > of xruns just in the normal usage of the pc...but I seem to be getting
> > better performance with all the eye candy!  My thoughts are that the
> > composite extension makes much better use of the videocards gpu and RAM
> so
> > it actually lightens the load on the cpu and system RAM, and therefore
> > actually gives me better performance.  Has anyone done any benchmarking
> on
> > this?  I could sure handle having my recording rig desktop utilising
> > compiz-fusion as default.
> >
> > Any thoughts appreciated,
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andy
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> I don't have any benchmarks to prove it, but in general, my desktop seems
> much more responsive using Compiz compared to the fast and clean Xfwm4.
>
> Too bad it isn't a full-grown window manager yet and Xinerama support is
> minimal at least, but it already has quite a lot of potential/power!

I use two monitors with twinview and it supports it just fine as far as I
can see - I can even choose between one big cube, or 2 seperate cubes.  I
actually can see how this will speed up my workflow...spatially it feels
better than virtual desktops, and visually you can check to see which
program is running on which viewport.  Good to see others are having good
success with it...I will continue to test it and see how it goes during more
intense recording sessions.

Andy J

-H-