[Ardour-Users] Could Compiz-Fusion actually improve performance?

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Mon Oct 22 04:36:34 PDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:34:37 +0930, "Andrew Johnston" <andy at 1300biteme.com>
wrote:
> of xruns just in the normal usage of the pc...but I seem to be getting
> better performance with all the eye candy!  My thoughts are that the
> composite extension makes much better use of the videocards gpu and RAM
so
> it actually lightens the load on the cpu and system RAM, and therefore
> actually gives me better performance.  Has anyone done any benchmarking
on
> this?  I could sure handle having my recording rig desktop utilising
> compiz-fusion as default.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated,
> Cheers,
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't have any benchmarks to prove it, but in general, my desktop seems
much more responsive using Compiz compared to the fast and clean Xfwm4.

Too bad it isn't a full-grown window manager yet and Xinerama support is
minimal at least, but it already has quite a lot of potential/power!

-H-