[Ardour-Users] Multiple-track editing, etc, etc

Carl Hetherington lists at carlh.net
Wed Oct 10 10:24:40 PDT 2007

Hi Michael,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Michael Dunn wrote:

> I finally figured out how to edit more than one track simultaneously.
> One can select a range in one track.  Then, sh/ctl-click the other
> desired track list areas, and the selected range will clone to the
> other tracks.
>
> This is awkward and time-consuming with *two* tracks.  What if it was *ten*?
>
> I'm pretty sure the other DAWs I've used all let you group tracks,
> and all editing done to any in the group gets applied to all.  This
> is desperately needed.

You can do this with ardour's edit groups.  Add one in the right hand side
"edit groups" tab, and then click on a track's 'g' control and select the
group to add it.  Activate the group, and any edits done on a track will
propagate to other "similar" regions on the other tracks in the edit
group.  ("similar" basically means starting at the same time and having
the same length").

There are some slight problems with edit groups in current releases but I
am working on ironing them out.  Please let me know if anything doesn't
work as expected!

Cheers

Carl