[Ardour-Users] testing OS X native versions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 4 17:13:20 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 18:38 -0400, Matthew Polashek wrote:
> Running PPC test on G4 MDD 1.25 GHZ 2 GIG of ram  MOTU PCI-324 and
> 2408 Mk1 OSX 10.4.10.  MIDI via MIDI Timepiec II AV USB with Yamaha
> Promix 01 as MIDI controller.

Thanks for the test and feedback.

> Failed to connect to jack using built-in audio.

You probably asked for illegal parameters. The builtin audio stuff is
amazingly uncapable. Mine can't do 48kHz, for example. In addition, if
you change the sample rate when using an aggregate device, you will
randomly lose all output channels (confirmed by Apple). Note, in case
you are not aware, that Tiger ships without any duplex audio devices by
default - its up to the user to create an aggregate one. Almost as crazy
as ALSA :)

> Works with the MOTU but I can't configure the number of channels.
> Default is 8 wich go to bank 1 of the 2408.

I am suprised by all the people who ask about this. I really wasn't
aware that so many people bother to configure the number of channels.
The default should be *all* the available physical channels. Is there a
problem with this?

> No MIDI.  Keyboard-Mouse shortcut to set MIDI CC of fader channels
> not working.

Yes, this is a relatively small detail in the packaging right now. The
Generic MIDI "control surface" support is not included in the packaging.
Its very easy for me to correct this, and I will in a soon-to-appear
version.

> GUI seems slow.  Especially the scroll wheel of the mouse.

in what direction(s) ? changing what? zoom? position?

> No VST.  Will we see VST plug ins in the OSX GUI?

Much more likely to see AU first. There are various issues with
supporting VST, ironically because Steinberg have insisted on using an
older GUI API (old-Carbon-sort-of) rather than the new stuff. Its not
impossible, but AU will be easier.

--p