[ardour-users] New session from commandline _with_ template selection?

rob rob at curates-egg.org
Sun May 13 03:34:32 PDT 2007

Tim Mayberry wrote:
> I guess if a template could be specified the session could be created
> straight away without needing to access the session options in the
> Session Control dialog.
My workflow is arranged primarily to capture ephemeral ideas - so I need
to create new  sessions from templates _fast_.  With 0.99.x I have
accelerated create/reopen session to the point of a single keystroke and
a mouse-click, so less ideas escape now :)

>> If not currently possible, I'd like to reuse my session rewriting code
>> for 0.99.x which rewrote "template" sessions to instantiate them as new
>> sessions.
> Is what you are doing any different from creating a new session from a
> template? why do you need special code to do that?
Somewhere in the distant Ardour past templates didn't retain UI/MIDI
bindings - so I wrote a python script to deep-copy and rename existing
sessions.

If Ardour2 currently cannot provide "new session from template" via
command-line then I'll have to consider reusing my 0.99.x script.

>> The only problem I can see is the mysterious "id-counter" and "id" tags
>> in the XML - what do they mean?
> As I recall the id-counter is the saved state of a monotonic counter
> that is used to
> generate the unique identifiers contained in the "id" attributes.
Hmm - maybe I should strip those attributes out and let Ardour recreate
them?

>> If I leave them unchanged, will anything break?
> I'm not sure about that.
Thanks
Rob