[ardour-users] New session from commandline _with_ template selection?

Tim Mayberry mojofunk at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:08:30 PDT 2007

On 5/12/07, rob <rob at curates-egg.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> "ardour2 --help" indicates I can create new sessions from the
> commandline, but doesn't indicate how I'd base the new session on a
> template.  Is this currently possible?

I don't think so, the -N flag just puts the name specified on the
command line in the session name text box in the "Session Control"
dialog, which seems totally pointless to me as that text box gets the
keyboard focus by default anyway.

I guess if a template could be specified the session could be created
straight away without needing to access the session options in the
Session Control dialog.

> If not currently possible, I'd like to reuse my session rewriting code
> for 0.99.x which rewrote "template" sessions to instantiate them as new
> sessions.

Is what you are doing any different from creating a new session from a
template? why do you need special code to do that?

> The only problem I can see is the mysterious "id-counter" and "id" tags
> in the XML - what do they mean?

As I recall the id-counter is the saved state of a monotonic counter
that is used to
generate the unique identifiers contained in the "id" attributes.

> If I leave them unchanged, will anything break?

I'm not sure about that.

Tim.