[ardour-users] Some newbie questions

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Tue May 8 15:18:58 PDT 2007

On 8 May 2007 at 7:27, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 06:54 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> > 2)  The 'Session' menu doesn't seem to have a 'Save As' option - so if I'm
> > working on a session, how can I save it under a different name?
>
> amazingly, perhaps. we don't do that. we consider the issues relating to
> copying or not copying GB's of audio data to be so complex and so full
> of pitfalls (just read some of the protools forums for examples of
> people who have lost important work because of misunderstandings or
> forgotten details) that we decided (for now) to provide just
> "Snapshots". This allows you to save the current state of a session
> under a given name, but not as an entirely new session folder - just a
> new session state file. These snapshots really are full sessions - they
> are not some poor cousin of the "real" session. They just happen to live
> in the same folder as the original along with all the associated audio.

I don't even know why I'd think to respond to this.  Everything
Ardour seems so well thought out for implications upon
implications, and I didn't snoop on any of the historical
conversations.  But, it seems to me that hard-linking the initial
copy of the audio data files might be of help.  That would be
really low overhead on resources I suspect.  But, then what to
do for various scenarios of editing one or both of the source
copy and the destination copy, that's when things could get
interesting, and that's when the need for more disk space could
expand.

I've used the hard-link trick with my own collection of sound
files.  These aren't files related to Ardour in any way.
Symbolic links achieve the same thing, almost.  What I like best
about hard links is that I can remove any of the linked copies of
the file and the others stay intact.  That doesn't happen with
symlinks.

Cheers....

--
Kevin